If you’ve found that your BMW is burning oil, it’s critical that you take immediate action to fix the problem because high oil consumption can result in a number of issues, including engine damage and higher maintenance expenses.
Experiencing oil consumption issues in a BMW can be frustrating, but it’s not uncommon in some models. Several factors can contribute to oil consumption problems in BMWs, and it’s essential to diagnose and address the issue promptly.
Here are some common reasons for oil consumption in BMWs:
Worn Piston Rings
- Engine piston rings may become worn over time, allowing oil to enter the combustion chamber and burn alongside the fuel. Oil consumption may rise as a result of this.
Valve Stem Seals
- Oil can burn during combustion as a result of faulty or damaged valve stem seals allowing oil to flow into the combustion chamber.
PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) System Issues
- Oil may be forced into the combustion chamber and consumed if the PCV system is not operating properly. This can happen if there is too much crankcase pressure.
- A failed turbocharger in a turbocharged BMW might cause oil to be forced into the intake system and burned in the engine.
- Lower oil levels and higher oil consumption can be caused by oil leaks from a variety of parts, including the valve cover gasket, the oil pan gasket, or the oil filter housing.
- Problems with oil consumption might result from using improper or low-quality oil. Use the recommended oil grade, and replace it frequently.
Oil Separator Failure
- Oil is pushed into the intake and burned in some BMW models due to an oil separator (CCV – Crankcase Ventilation Valve) that can break down over time.
- Some BMW engines are more likely to use oil because of inborn design elements. For instance, under some circumstances, some M-series engines have been shown to use more oil.
Speak With a Skilled Mechanic in Oceanside, CA
For over 12 years, Oceanside Motorsports has been an Oceanside staple helping you get back on the road faster than the dealer can. A full-service automotive repair shop in Oceanside, CA that specializes in top-notch scheduled service and preventive maintenance. With our Time Saver Service, we can get your car and deliver it to your doorstep once fixed. You can also have our free loaner car while your car is serviced. You’ll get used to expecting quick, simple, and dependable auto repairs from Oceanside Motorsports!